Florentino and Fermina (Łódź)

Madli

Florentino and Fermina (Łódź)

Post by Madli »

Commentaries from Dr. Piotr Zieliński (YouTube chat) about today's events in the nest.

12:52:00 Flo and the female come back and Flo and the female are acting weird. Flo doesn't know what to do.
the female is careful, she moves to the branch. Flo sits on the nest, but gets up, the female goes down to the nest.

You can have a look at it. It has a darker head and a blackout at the beak. It's Fermina2. Flo still doesn't know what to do, so he struggles with his thoughts. He has a nest and a female (Fer3) - that's all he wanted for this season.

He throws out Fer2. Flo knows visiting two females means trouble. So he throws Fer2. But only now this season. In black storks, it is not possible to raise offspring on their own, there is monogamy in the season. Ala couple has already formed. (Marika: But the pair has already formed.)

The episode 13:02 is a mystery
13:02:37 Flo is on the nest, Fer3 arrives first, everything is OK. But after a while another stork arrives. After Flo's behavior, you can see that it is a female. He is confused again, does not know what to do, but repeats the previous pattern, bending over to throw Fer2.
The third stork is clearly smaller than Flo, has a darker head and beak than Fer3 - this is Fer2.

Why did he throw out his current female (Fer3) yet? You need to carefully watch the removal of Fer 2 in the presence of Fer3. Just as Flo pushes Fer2, his current female pecks him in the back. Fer3 is not shattered in fights. How she decided to throw out Fer2 was already done by Flo. She attacked Flo with momentum. Flo, defending the nest, felt a blow in the back from the stork in the back. He immediately switched to combat mode, turned and threw Fer3, even though it was his female. A nest with a male is a valuable resource, there are no feminists there. There are only competitors.

13:05 Flo sits on the nest, Fermina3 arrives
13:05 - both birds are very nervous.
But Flo's still boiled, she's still in combat mode. Fer3 returned to the nest too early. Flo's emotions have yet to subside.
Flo is left alone in the nest, he sits down.
13:10:50 Fer3 returns - they speak together for a long time, they fly out together, they come back together, finally both birds are calm and at 13:21 stork.
Will Fer2 come back tomorrow?

See the full event from here: https://ciconianigra.sk/viewtopic.php?p=1538#p1538
marika.solo
Site Admin

Re: Florentino and Fermina (Łódź)

Post by marika.solo »

Madli wrote: 10 Apr 2022, 22:15
we both were there :mrgreen:
... and here in forum you were quicker (I finished with Nurme and Eedi)

usually only female fight with the other female (male with male)
Flo did nothing previous season in similar situation, Fer 2 fought with Fer 1 (Fer 2 won)

btw. on the question about news from young storks with transmitter the answer is - no news :-(

edit:
answer on the question Will Fer2 come back tomorrow? It's hard to say. I guess not because Flo kicked her out. If Fer3 had thrown her out, she probably would have tried.
Madli

Post by Madli »

Hehe..I can't use the translator when I'm watching from my phone, but I knew this was something important so I quickly ran to the computer to translate :D

As I have understood from the beginning of this season, then there are always surprises and rules can never be 100% true! Also Skierka had a surprise for us this season...

Let's still keep hoping for news from the young storks.

Good night again🙂
marika.solo
Site Admin

Post by marika.solo »

Madli wrote: 10 Apr 2022, 22:47
Skierka? it is not surprise to me - hormones force females to find one nest (and partner) and to raise a new generation - she finally found it (but as Mr.D.A write, she returned to Wolsztyn repeatedly)
marika.solo
Site Admin

Post by marika.solo »

"update" https://www.facebook.com/LasyPanstwoweL ... 7360556170

Difficult stork matters😱

Our nest from April 8, together with Florentino, is occupied by Fermina3💚 - a new female, we haven't seen her before. But on April 10, Fermina2 - a female from 2021 - returned to the nest and it got a bit tight. Florentino decided that it was too late to populate the nest occupied by Fermina3 and asked Fermina2 to move away ... threw out Fermina2. Upset, Florentino after kicking Fermina2 turned towards the alleged attacker😤 and threw him out of the nest as well. But it wasn't a striker, but his Fermina3! It was too late for an explanation.
Fermina3 has flown away. And Florentino sat down on the nest and waited. The nest situation calmed down after about 20 minutes. Fermina3 returned to the nest and despite some initial disagreements with Florentino, it remained permanently in the nest🕵️‍♂️.
Fortunately, Fermina2 did not try to return to the nest on Sunday. We don't know what Fermina2 will do on Monday. We hope that this was her first nest that she visited after her arrival and, undaunted by today's failure, she will continue to look for another nest in the area.
✍️ prof. Piotr Zieliński, Faculty of Biology and Environmental Protection, University of Lodz
"Good luck Fermina2! 💪
A quiet Monday for our new couple - remember that the brood is the most important here, and our Florentino certainly knows what he is doing ... anyway, with his new partner, from the very first moment he behaved very freely and they spent the first night in the nest together."

video https://youtu.be/yDWiu08qYCk (by RDLP w Łodzi)

Return to “Discussion about nesting”