Łódź (Florentino/Flo and Fermina/Fer)

documenting the life on streamed black stork nests
marika.solo
Site Admin

Re: Łódź (Florentino/Flo and Fermina/Fer)

Post by marika.solo »

Madli wrote: 28 Jul 2022, 09:08 ... Is it known 100% that Figo is a male and Fago is a female? ...
maybe the DNA results are known already:

prof. PZ (23.07) ... "soon" we will get to it. Of course, those from the online nest will go first.
(viewtopic.php?p=6899#p6899)

in the evening we will know surely
Justyna

Post by Justyna »

We will find out today at 21:00, I hope so, but I also think when I look at Fago that the girl is so slender and Figo is so packed
Justyna

Post by Justyna »

Piotr Zielinski 21:00

I will come back to yesterday:
Yesterday at 7:59 she was feeding Fer. Then she flew away, but the chicks were calling all the time,Fer was walking under the nest. At 8:06 she flew right under the nest,and flew into the nest. But it was still Fer.
She brought something, but very little,at 8:07:45 one small frog was seen. So there was feeding.Walking under the nest she caught a frog and what was she supposed to do with it? She brought it to the nest and only than she flew away for a long time.
Only the feeding today at 5:00 pm may be in doubt because it was against the sun.But before flying away you could see the bill pointing to the right - that's Florentino.

FEEDINGs
- today x 3, Flo x 2, Fer x 1

Today in the departures even Figo was more active - he flew out 9 times, and Fago flew out 5 times at least.
Madli wrote: 28 Jul 2022, 09:08 ... Is it known 100% that Figo is a male and Fago is a female? ...
The results were already yesterday, I wrote in the chat - Figo is male, Fago is female
But already a few day ago you correctly typed that Fago is a girl, because finer and Figo - this bull from the ringing - it could not come out otherwise: Figo 3400 g, Fago 2900 g. We with Bartek have another criterion as given - when storklet pecks with the bill when sending and when ringing, it is usually confirmed that it is a female, and it is confirmed that females are more active: Fago flew out first, the first today began to walk on the left (thin) branch.

? jak nadane dużo i dziobie przy obrączkowaniu to zwykle okazuje się samica = when storklet pecks with the bill when sending and when ringing, it is usually confirmed that it is a female

TRANSMITTERs
- only the one from Moldova spoke up, but the position did not change

Q
Justyna: @Piotr Zielinski I have a question. last time you wrote as Basia asked about Florek(junior) could it have died most likely over (marika: Florek - storklet from this nest, hatched 2021) the Sahara or is it some key place that it is known that if the bird did not cross it died?
A
Piotr Zielinski: @Justyna Florek sent his last signal on 3.10.2021 just before the Sahara. And the Sahara is b. difficult to cross - 4-5 days of flight without water. Florek did not call back beyond the Sahara, others did. Florek probably died in the Sahara.
Q
Justyna: @Piotr Zielinski and how was it with Lodka from oak 1? She after all also after a very long time heard from , she flew across the Sahara or not? (marika: Lodka - storklet from the previous streamed nest, hatched 2018
A
Piotr Zielinski: @Justyna - no, Lodka wintered in Bulgaria
Q
Justyna: @Piotr Zielinski And Gapcio and Finezja? (marika: siblings hatched on this nest in 2020)
A
Piotr Zielinski: @Justyna - Gapcio called back from central Africa after the Sahara flew over
Q
Justyna: @Piotr Zielinski and Frezja? (marika: Frezja - storklet from this nest, hatched 2021)
A
Piotr Zielinski: With Frezja is a difficult matter insofar as Frezja called back from Ethiopia in the spring of 2022, but even before heading north. That is, the Sahara was in front of her, but she had already crossed it once in the fall of 2021, so here I bet on transmitter trouble.
Justyna

Post by Justyna »

July 29

Flo's return to the empty nest

Image Image Image
marika.solo
Site Admin

Post by marika.solo »

Hello everyone :-)

youtube chat info:

Joanna​:
Justyna, 05.56 odleciała Fago, a 06.29 odleciał Figo - Justyna, on 05.56 Fago flew out, and on 06.29 Figo flew out

Justyna:
​9:44 odlot Flo w lewo - 9:44 Flo take off left

Ala Ja-ska:
​10:08 Rodzic przyleciał na balkon - 10:08 Parent flew to the balcony
Justyna: ​
10:21 spacerek po gałęźi po lewej do gniazda Fer - 10:21 Fer walked from the branch on the left to the nest
Justyna:
​10:24 Odlot Fer w prawo - 10:24 Fer flight away to the right
Justyna

Post by Justyna »

Our lost items returned to the nest at 2:55 pm together and found a feeding from Fermina. They were gone from 5:56 and 6:29 to 14:55.
marika.solo
Site Admin

Post by marika.solo »

Justyna wrote: 29 Jul 2022, 15:32
Justyna, thank you for very good news! (I was out)

long first trip :lol:
Madli

Post by Madli »

Lost items :D that's funny

Can there be already some logger info, how far they went today ;)
marika.solo
Site Admin

Post by marika.solo »

Madli wrote: 29 Jul 2022, 19:29Can there be already some logger info, how far they went today ;)
prof PZ

first - the chicks were together
secondly - they did not fly anywhere else - they were in the forest 200 meters from the nest
Due to the fact that they were 200 from the nest, they couldn't see the nest and their parents didn't see them either

edit 1:
It is possible that Fer flew over the forest and eventually the chicks noticed her and that prompted them to return to the nest.
Because Fer landed on the nest right after the chicks

edit2
they rather landed in the forest and walked. That's why they didn't see their parents coming
Justyna

Post by Justyna »

Piotr Zielinski 21:00

FEEDINGs
- feedings: 3 - Flo x 2, Fer x 1
- Flo first brought a few small fish, then Fer brought at least two small frogs and at the end Flo had already brought normally several frogs
- the first two feedings were minimal, because the parents had already partially digested the food brought earlier and there was little left to regurgitating; only Florentino's last feeding was immediately after foraging

CHICKs
Figo today was gone 8h and 26 min, Fago was gone 9h, quite a long time.

Q
A la Ja-ska: Piotr, do you know anything from transmitters, where our treasures wandered for almost 10 hours?
A
Piotr Zielinski: But the transmitters showed: 1/ the chicks were together, 2/ they did not fly anywhere further, they were in the forest 200 m from the nest.

Therefore, because they were 200 m from the nest they did not see the nest and the parents did not see them either. Flo waited for a long time in the nest, but they did not come back. Fer waited briefly and she flew out. Flo called. Apparently they didn't hear him.
It is possible that Fer flew over the forest and finally the chicks noticed her and this prompted them to return to the nest. Because Fer landed on the nest right after the chicks.

Q
Małgorzata Kulisz: Fer found them?
A
Piotr Zieliński: @Małgorzata Kulisz: we don't know that. It is possible that Fer was flying to feed and the chicks noticed her. I know that it sounds more romantic to explain that the mother found the lost offspring. They were the ones who could see her while flying out of the forest.
Q
Grażyna J: I wonder what they were doing for 8 hours.
A
Piotr Zieliński: @ Grażyna J they rather landed in the forest and walked. Therefore, they did not see the parents flying to the nest.
Q
TinaT: So Flo's whistling was the call of the young? 😀
A
Piotr Zielinski: @TinaT - this is signaling her presence, not calling
Q
Justyna: @Piotr Zielinski Will the chicks fly after their parents for foraging?
A
Piotr Zielinski: @Justyna - today's day showed that they don't fly (and they could).

Q
Justyna: @Piotr Zielinski Remind me because I don't remember how it is with hearing in black storks?
A
Piotr Zielinski: Storks have very good hearing, average sense of smell.

TRANSMITTERs
- stork from Piotrkow 2020 is still in Moldova
- from the others new data is not available

Q
Justyna: @Piotr Zielinski You didn't explain to me yesterday Frezja, I asked about this Sahara or is it a key place that if the stork does not overcome it is a sign that it is dead. (Marika: Frezja and Florek - chicks from this nest, hatched 2021)
A
Piotr Zielinski: @Justyna - Frezja defeated the Sahara in the fall of 2021 and she succeeded - condition very good, gained experience. In the spring of 2022 it should be similar, because: she has already shown that she can do it, she has gained experience. Therefore, I rather bet on the failure of the transmitter - she did not send data after crossing Sahara.Florek probably did not overcome the Sahara. It is possible that something was wrong with him (his fitness) and that is why I think he is rather dead.

Q
Justyna: Gapcio i Finezja? (Marika: chicks from this nest, hatched 2020)
A
Piotr Zielinski: Gapcio was lost in the winter in the middle of Africa - not sure what's up with him. and with Finezja it's a longer story and I have to prepare for that. Could be tomorrow?

btw. next week i play Tuesday

Return to “POLAND streamed nests”