Łódź (Florentino/Flo and Fermina/Fer)

documenting the life on streamed black stork nests
Madli

Re: Łódź (Florentino/Flo and Fermina/Fer)

Post by Madli »

Video of the event here:

Justyna

Post by Justyna »

June 22 (!), 2022

Today our storks did not have an easy day, we had three hawk attacks during the day, the last one looked the most dangerous.
First attack: https://youtu.be/Q6II0xsX1FE
Second attack: https://youtu.be/yOAOO0Mk_0s
Third attack: https://youtu.be/tfEaZErGszw

Fortunately, nothing happened to the storks, they defended themselves bravely, but by a hair and there would be one less stork :(, lucky that the stork got tangled in a branch and therefore did not fall down.

Zdzisław 21:11

- I will not elaborate on the shares of the hawk. Everyone has seen what is most important. So far it ended happily. Hopefully it will continue to do so.

- Today six FEEDINGs. Pretty decent, then. Most can still be seen: 5:05 -flo; 08:33 -fer; 09:35 -flo; 11:47 -fer; 15:14 -flo; 16:58 -fer;

- There is no need to write about the periods when babies are alone. They have to deal with themselves all the time.

- Parents' visits are very short, but fortunately meaningful. Unfortunately, the stress of watching our chicks will stay with us for many more days. After all, I hope that they and we will survive.

Goldfish from Flo:
Madli

Post by Madli »

I wonder if the storklets got 3 wishes too after eating the goldfish :lol:
Justyna

Post by Justyna »

23 June 2022

Piotr Zieliński 21:01

The young one gives a show of flapping his wings, they have already grown today. And overnight, such bulls will grow up that we will not recognize them. But seriously, I estimate their chances at 80% (which is a lot). The hawk can never be taken lightly. Something had just bothered them. The visitor to our nest is a smart man. But not a super clever. And that's why I give him little chance of success.

FEEDINGs
Flo x 3, Fer x 2, a total of 5 - the norm at this stage. 5:30 pm is Flo.

Jolanta Kuligowska Piotr, what do you think, will still attack? Piotr Zieliński will try, but the chances are small.

SUPPLIES
- I think Flo knew we were going to write about him today and he did his best.
- 11 supplies, branches, moss, sticks and big sticks, and he had been nursing the chicks for a long time. He has not done this for a long time.

Ala Ja-ska It's really amazing that today, after yesterday's events, he fiercely put up with sticks and strengthened the fortification.
Silka: Piotr, could Flo smell the hawk on the feathers of the young? Piotr Zieliński @Silka: excluded. Flo just fed the chicks early, wasn't hungry himself, and took care of deliveries and cleaning.

TRANSMITTERs:
- I was counting on the one from Piotrków from 2020. He aimed at Hrubieszów before, but returned to central Ukraine.
- the others remain unchanged - that is Kiernozia (the nearby Dino) and backwaters on the Odra River.

if: Piotr, why do you need this information dropped from loggers?
Piotr Zieliński @if: we want to know which way they fly, where they winter, where they spend the first summer, where the second and third. but it is possible that this knowledge will be useful one day, because perhaps in the future the situation of the black stork will worsen and it will need to be effectively helped.

Sylwia Krajwska: Piotr 14:13 Is it the sound of a hawk? Piotr Zieliński @s sylwia krajwska - it's a buzzard.

Ania Nawrocka: Does climate change affect the stork? Maybe someday not to nest with us? Piotr Zieliński @Ania Nawrocka: so far it is not an endangered species. And climate change would have to be drastic to harm it in our country.

If: How will the situation of black storks worsen, how will it be possible to help him? Excluding placing in the zoo, of course. Piotr Zieliński @if: any action increasing the amount of water in the forest will be definitely beneficial - i.e. indirect aid. If That's something. Concrete. So improving the quality of feeding grounds?

TinaT: Piotr, and in Estonia? Piotr Zieliński @TinaT: it is in Estonia that the situation of the black stork has worsened due to forest drainage. It is easier for man to manage forests in forests and use the forest in general, but in terms of nature it means gradual degradation.
Justyna

Post by Justyna »

24 June 2022

Piotr Zielinski 21:00

FEEDINGs
- (chicks) are growing because they are eating! and a lot of it.
- today 7 feedings: Flo x 4, Fer x 3.
- Flo another day brings big fish in the morning. He gets a little tired of returning them, but finally succeeds. I can see there were no problems with recognition. I had to repeat 17:57 twice, but yes - Flo, I recognized him by the grace with which he flew, but the bow also showed, also Flo for sure. Only this eye was worse. that is, the eye alone is not enough.
- Flo still won't tell Fer where she's bringing the fish from.

Ala Ja-ska: Because Fer's eye is one of a kind ... Piotr Zieliński @Ala Ja-ska: yes, that's why I added the "grace" of arrival. Flo is a little bigger of Fer and flies beautifully from afar.
@Renia P - but the eye is on the beak extension, so we look at the same thing, but we with @Ala Ja-ska are more holistic. Renia P: okay Piotr .... but what is this eye about? Piotr Zieliński @Renia P - it's simple - Flo has a nicer eye. I also watched this feeding of Flo from 5; 20 - it was successful.

06:15 - a visit of a scythe on a small branch; 08:15 - visit of frisky roe deer on the right.

TRASNMITTERs
storks kept their position from yesterday

Barbara O. @Piotr Zieliński: Do Frezja and Florek speak up? Piotr Zieliński @Barbara O.: there is no new information, but we interpret it as a technical imperfection.

At 22:25:39 we had a tawny owl attack:
Justyna

Post by Justyna »

25 June 2022

FEEDINGs
- Flo still fish and amphibians, Fer amphibians. Flo feeds x 3, Fer feeds x 2. Rather Flo x 2 and Fer x 3. (Ala Ja-ska: Oh I think also Fer 3 and Flo 2 feedings.) If something is wrong with these feedings today.
- Flo knows he's getting these fish illegally because he no longer has a contract with the pond owner. He feeds early in the morning and at 5:01 a.m. he is already with the fish on the nest. Later, he no longer flies there because people are already hanging around and he can't feed. He then returns to the frog feeding grounds. If Flo's ponds are safe? Aren't there any traps for animals that pick up fish?
- Ala Ja-ska: Piotr, you mean these morning fish are from a breeding pond ? Piotr Zielinski @Ala Ja-ska: don't say that out loud.

DELIVERY: x 0.

The parents never once met on the nest - resulting in a stork x 0.

The chicks are already practicing waving.

No VISITORs today.

TRANSMITTERs
- Piotrkow 2020: still central Ukraine on the Murafa River.
- Spała 2020: flew south as far as Koluszki, but did not reach Spała and returned to Kiernozia - probably to Dino.
- Kutno 2021: surprise here - he left the floodplains over Odra and flew to us. Now he is between Poznań and Leszno.

Ala Ja-ska And I think, Jolu, that he was definitely helped by fate, that he hooked himself on a branch. Piotr Zielinski @Ala Ja-ska: I agree, he accidentally hooked his leg on a stick and that saved him.
Ala Ja-ska: Fortunately, Piotr, these entanglements are very tangled. Piotr Zieliński: What's worse, the second little one was upset by the hawk's attack and made it difficult for him to come back to the nest.
Jolanta Kuligowska: Did he make it difficult? And I was convinced that he helped him. Piotr Zielinski @Jolanta Kuligowska: it was rough help because he was pecking him. Piotr Zieliński @Jolanta Kuligowska: "Younger" directed his aggression where the hawk disappeared, i.e. to the right, and the fact that "Older" was hanging there and not the hawk is not his fault. He thought he was pecking at the hawk - the page agreed.
Małgorzata Kulisz: Piotr, that means he was well-informed after all. Piotr Zieliński @Malgorzata Kulisz: but which one are you writing about now? Małgorzata Kulisz: 'about the Younger one, how he helped'. Piotr Zielinski @Malgorzata Kulisz: No - "Younger" was nervous, not oriented. He should have shown quicker orientation and at least not disturbed the other one, who was hanging on by a thread.

Piotr Zieliński Jola, a few more days (Marika: ?)

Jolanta Kuligowska: Piotr, is tawny owl dangerous for storks? Piotr Zieliński @Jolanta Kuligowska: in practice not. It is dangerous only for small chicks. And small chicks are always watched by their parents.

TinaT: Piotr, because I didn't make it yesterday. May I ask a question not directly related to storks? Piotr Zielinski @TinaT: yes. TinaT: What course(s) do you teach? Piotr Zielinski: Biology and environmental protection. Ula: (Silka) told her that yesterday - a disbeliever.

Ala Ja-ska: Today he even almost broke away from the nest.... I know almost makes a big difference. Piotr Zieliński @Ala Ja-ska: don't scare me, because we won't have time to put the loggers on, at the most on 6th July we will catch them in the forest.
Justyna

Post by Justyna »

27 June 2022

Beautiful day today.

FEEDINGs
- Feeding already in normal rhythm: Flo x 3, Fer x 3.

Unwanted visit and unsuccessful hawk attack 10:42:24. Hawk trying to surprise chicks but again failed.
And back to the hawk, it was a normal attack. It flew straight to the nest, but when it realized that the surprise was nothing, it raised its flight.

TRANSMITTERs:
Nothing new with loggers - no update.

Ala Ja-ska: Peter do you know what kind of fish Flo brings in the morning? Is it carp ? Piotr Zieliński @Ala Ja-ska: I don't know. Anyway we were waiting for Flo to find a good place to fish and he did. After today's hearty breakfast at 4:44 from the big fish, the chicks are more and more out of reach for the hawk. They are getting heavier, stronger, more alert.

Ala Ja-ska: Not one shark but three. Piotr Zielinski @Ala Ja-ska: 3 or even 4. Abundant feeding, failed attack and stable weather that stabilized the feeding.

Justyna: Hello Piotr, and those small fish from Flo so black or were they squeakers ? I don't remember the time, Piotr Zielinski @Justyna and @Ala Ja-ska - Flo has been bringing them for a few days. These are mostly tadpoles of the ground-hopper. Nothing else seems to fit me. Occasionally a newt will come in too.

Joanna: With tadpoles like this, it's probably taken on a lot of water on occasion. Piotr Zielinski @Joanna - yes, and the tadpoles themselves are jelly on water.

TinaT Is that at 21:32:57. fluff? Piotr Zielinski @TinaT 21:33:00 - yes it's a down. it's just flapping its wings towards the camera. 21:34:04 same.
Justyna

Post by Justyna »

June 26

Piotr Zieliński at 21:01

FEEDINGs
- Flo x 2, Fer x 2, we will see if it is because of the heat, or they will also feed less often later
- 5:30 Older's spit, but the Younger did not eat it.
- 6:57 Flo brought 1 shark that was swallowed by Older, and the Younger found out that there is no justice in this world. But he was close to capturing a shark.
- Big fish are always more or less problematic when they are returned. Apparently he was afraid of stuffing his will with a second shark, since the first meant a big meal.

16:07 - threat and DEFENSIVE REACTION of the chicks. It could have been a hawk checking the chicks' alertness.

There were no DELIVERIES, and no other VISITS.

TRANSMITTERs:
Storks with transmitters did not change their position
Justyna

Post by Justyna »

June 28, 2022

Piotr Zieliński at 21:00

SUPPLIES
Fer x 2 supplies (stick, dry grass)

FEEDINGs
Flo x 4, Fer x 2, Flo turned up - he brought fish twice

07:15:30 - hawk attack
The hawk flew straight for the nest, but flew higher because it saw that the surprise would not be successful, but the hawk can quickly lower its flight. So we still have to wait tomorrow. Today they ate a lot and they will grow more overnight. The hawk will be scared if he sees them, but let's give them one more day.
After the hawk attack, Fer was confused. She wasn't on the one nearby, but she was nearby. She probably heard the chick alarm and that's why she came back. It is possible that she was walking in a clearing in the forest and therefore arrived late.

09:53 the DEFENSIVE POSITION of the chicks - probably the hawk has arrived yet.

TRANSMITTERs
- from Piotrków (from 2020): still central Ukraine
- from S (from 2020): still Kiernozia
- from Kutno (from 2021): did not provide new leads
Justyna

Post by Justyna »

29 June 2022

Justyna at 21:00

DELIVERIES: x 0

FEEDINGs
feeding x 7: Fer x 4, Flo x 3
- today's menu storks had large sharks from Flo and traditionally frogs from Fer
- in addition, we had 3 x water supplies from Flo, although the water supply to the young was not the best, but he tried to admit it

Our little storks practice their wings more and more often, and indeed Piotr will be chasing them around the woods while ringing them.

At 2:29 pm the DEFENSIVE POSITION of the chicks, there is no reason in the frame, but you could hear the voice of a hawk.

We had other animals' visits at 19:57:00 marten on the forest floor from right to left.

Return to “POLAND streamed nests”