Łódź (Florentino/Flo and Fermina/Fer)

documenting the life on streamed black stork nests
Justyna

Re: Łódź (Florentino/Flo and Fermina/Fer)

Post by Justyna »

18 June 2022

Piotr Zieliński 21:15

DELIVERIES
there were no deliveries today

CHICKS ALONE
Fer left the nest at 5:19 am and later it was just short arrivals for feeding and departure.
Fer left at 16:07 so I thought she would be back. But in a moment it will be dark and there is no Fermina.

FEEDINGs
Feeding Flo x 3, Fer x 3. Food is poorly. Flo still doesn't have a good fishery. Sooner or later, Flo will get better. Fer traditionally bases on frogs.

No communication with Flo comes out again, Fer and Flo never met at the nest today for a moment

DEVELOPING of the chicks
Our chicks develop well, they walk more and more and flap their wings. Since there are only two, this amount of food, although small, is enough for them.

TRANSMITTERs
- the one from Piotrków forest district (hatched 2020) flew 100 km towards Lviv (western Ukraine); although the direction is good!
- the one form Spała forest district (hatched 2020): from Kujawy returned to the south and is near Konin (central Poland)
- the one from Kutno forest district (hatched 2021): unchanged - it feeds on the Odra river near Krosno Odrzańskie
Justyna

Post by Justyna »

19 June 2022

Piotr Zieliński 21:00

The chicks are already asleep. Today they will be alone again. Already 31 days old. Parents drop in for a short time, only for feeding and depart immediately.

DELIVERIES: x 0,

FEDINGs
- feeds Flo x 3, Fer x 2
- food composition has not changed - amphibians
- Flo still does not bring fish.

Fer had the last feeding at 7:14 pm I thought she would stay, but she left at 7:16 pm

07:16 - blacksmith visit on the left branch; 18:56:24 - I don't know what it was.

Piotr, how do you rate the feeding grounds of Flo and Fer this year in comparison with the previous ones? Fish. 15:32 - you can hear motorbikes, the road is nearby, it is possible that they even entered the forest, but you won't be careful about that.

TRANSMITTERs
- from Piotrków (from 2022): central Ukraine - no new leads
- from Spała (from 2020): the one who flew to Renia. He has already turned back, he is on Słudwia. But this time it is closer to Dino in Kiernozi - maybe he will get supplies there.
- from Kutno (from 2021): no changes - feeds on the Oder.

Renia P: Piotr - I wanted to ask about the water that my parents bring. Why don't they put the young people in their beaks, but pour them out on the nest? They only want to cool the nest and not give water to the young? Piotr Zieliński @Renia P: it is technically difficult to pour water into a young's beak. As soon as the adult lowers his head, the water pours out. The young have to practice to catch more of it.
Renia P: That is ..... they bring it for the young to drink? Piotr Zieliński @Renia P: that's what they are going to do - provide water to the chicks - it is average
In any case, our chicks are not overfed, but neither are they starving.

Justyna

Post by Justyna »

Hawk attack
Justyna

Post by Justyna »

The weather does not spoil our storks, first the heat, and then storms and rainfall.

FEEDINGs
- today few: Flo x 1, Fer x 2. Amphibians still dominate the diet, and in the last feeding Fer brought quite a lot of frogs.

10:16:20 - hawk attack. fortunately the hawk saw Fer coming, which might put him off a bit too. Age 32 days. The hawk is still a threat to them. the determined hawk may pose a threat to them for a long time to come.

We plan to set up loggers on July 6.

TRASMITTERs:
- Piotrków 2020: central Ukraine on the Murata River,
- Spała 2020: no changes - Słudwia valley,
- Kutno 2021: on the Odra - no changes.

Beti: Good evening Piotr, it is probably better when it is warm than when it is hot. Piotr Zieliński @Beti - of course, long-term rainfall is much worse.

Barbara O.: @Piotr Zieliński Do young storks have sufficiently greased plumage? The chicks can already lubricate the feathers with the secretion of the rump gland, but this is obviously not enough, also the fluff is soaked with water, and the black feathers, which they will carefully lubricate later, still have little.

Barbara O.: Cooling them down? Piotr Zieliński @Barbara O.: They do not get cold because it is warm and the chicks are fed. So far, there has only been one hot day (Sunday) - also not a problem for them. Now Flo and Fer are looking for food. They know that the chicks are big and that rain and sun will not hurt them directly.

Beti: Young, but they grew so boldly. Piotr Zieliński: They have to make up on their face because their beak is still too soft.
Justyna

Post by Justyna »

June 21, 2022

The degree of difficulty in observing increases for us. All because of these storks, they don't want to stay in the nest for longer.

FEEDINGs
- Feeding takes about a minute and it's over - they're gone.
- Today I tried to do it quickly, but I caught 4 and Larysa - thanks to you - 6: that is Flo x 3, Fer x 3 - they returned to the previous rhythm. And since they are amphibians - that's okay - it's the most important part of their diet (by number). and by weight they are fish.

DELIVERIEs x 0

VISITs x 0 - fortunately

TRANSMITTERs:
- Kutno and Spała remained unchanged
- but the one from Piotrków from 2020 flies toward Poland, he is near Łuck (western Ukraine); from the direction of flight it looks like it is aiming at the border crossing in Hrubieszów, let it fly to Poland and look for a nesting place here.

And the Song thrush has already put our chicks to sleep.

Reflections on the Appearance and Recognition of Flo and Fer
Silka: Piotr, in addition, Flo seems to have this dark streak lighter on one side and then it is difficult to recognize him. Piotr Zieliński: Ula, maybe - I still look at it in general - if it has a large beak, then it is Fer, and if it has a very big beak, it is Flo. And besides - this is how I perceive them - but it's a matter of perception. That is, in my opinion, Flo has a nicer eye.
Ania Nawrocka ... I know that Flo's beak is too big. Ania Nawrocka: Prettier, or what? Piotr Zieliński: Fer looks a bit "neglected"
through those little feathers in disarray, and Flo looks like he came from the hairdresser and beautician. This is partly because Fer has a browner head from above and Flo has a blacker head, which makes him look more elegant.
Silka: Flo seems to be exaggerating with this beauty already ... He is a brunette, she is brown-haired ... Piotr Zieliński: but I also noticed that the smoothing of the feathers on the head does not work well when it rains. Then Flo and Fer look alike. And then you can make a mistake, sometimes I go back several times.
Madli

Post by Madli »

June 22

16.52 Another attack of the goshawk! :shock:

The storklets are very brave and agile! Luckily onw dodged the attack.
Madli

Post by Madli »

20.45 Another attack of the goshawk. This time one storklet almost fell out from the nest! :shock: but managed to crawl back in. I hope there aren't any injuries.

Video by Rysx

That's a really scary attack! And goshawks are very determined. Fingers crossed a lot for these storklets. :cry:
Madli

Post by Madli »

There were actually 3 attacks in total today!

Here is a video by Beatrice, combining all the attacks.

Madli

Post by Madli »

June 23

Today, Flo removed the remaining egg from the nest.

05.50 He took the egg, but it fell into the branches.

Madli

Post by Madli »

05.58 Flo went back to the egg, picked it up, and moved it to the other side. The chicks were trying to peck it, so the egg fell into the lower part of the nest rim.

Return to “POLAND streamed nests”